What Does ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS Imply?
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS is an error message a browser returns when it fails to load webpage content material as a consequence of a redirect loop.
A redirect loop is when a requested web page redirects to a different web page. And the second web page redirects again to the unique web page. This creates an infinite cycle of redirects.
Finally, the browser provides up loading the web page and returns a “too many redirects” error message.
This error is problematic for 2 causes:
1. It negatively impacts person expertise by slicing off entry to a webpage. Customers may go away your website, which suggests misplaced visitors. And potential misplaced income for your small business.
2. Search engine crawlers are trapped within the loop, so your pages aren’t crawled correctly. And in case your pages will not be crawled and listed, they gained’t rank in engines like google and drive visitors to your web site.
On this publish, we’ll discover the causes of the “too many redirects” error and find out how to repair it.
However first, let’s look at what this error appears like in numerous internet browsers.
What Does the Too Many Redirects Error Look Like in Browsers?
Completely different browsers present the error in another way.
In Google Chrome, the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error will present a message in the course of the display: “This web page isn’t working. instance.com redirected you too many occasions.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Chrome)
A button lets you retry loading the web page.
In Firefox, you may even see a message in the course of the display that claims, “The web page isn’t redirecting correctly.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Firefox)
And a button to attempt reloading the web page.
In Safari, the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error message reads, “Safari Can’t Open the Web page.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Safari)
Not like Chrome and Firefox, Safari doesn’t provide a button for reloading the web page.
For those who’re utilizing Microsoft Edge, you’ll see this error message: “This web page isn’t working proper now.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Microsoft Edge)
A “Refresh” button lets you attempt reloading the web page.
In Opera, the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error will present this message: “This web page isn’t working. instance.com redirected you too many occasions.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Opera)
What Causes the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS Error?
The ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error happens when a browser is caught in a loop of redirects making an attempt to load your webpage.
This will occur for a number of causes, together with the next:
- Browser cookies and cache points. Corrupted cookies and an outdated cache may trigger a redirect loop that results in the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.
- Misconfigured redirects. In case your new redirects battle with current ones, it could actually trigger the error “too many redirects.”
- Points with third-party providers and plugins. Misconfigured third-party providers reminiscent of content material supply networks (CDN) and using outdated plugins may cause “too many redirects” points in your website.
- Incorrect HTTPS settings. A misconfigured safe sockets layer (SSL) certificates or HTTPS redirect guidelines can create “too many redirects” points.
- .htaccess file misconfiguration. If the .htaccess file, which is used to configure internet server settings, has a defective variable, it could actually result in the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in your web site.
How one can Establish ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS Errors on Your Web site
Manually figuring out ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error points in your web site generally is a time-consuming and tedious course of.
Semrush’s Website Audit device routinely scans your web site for redirect-related points. Like redirects chains and loops.
Begin by organising a challenge to your web site.
Go to the Website Audit device. Enter your URL and click on “Begin Audit.”
The “Website Audit Settings” window will pop up. Right here, choose the variety of pages you wish to scan. Then click on “Begin Website Audit.”
As soon as the audit is full, navigate to the “Points” tab and seek for “redirect.” The device will present whether or not your website has redirect chains and loops.
If points exist, click on on the “X redirect chains and loops” to see the precise pages triggering these points.
You’ll see an inventory of URLs like this:
The “Why and find out how to repair it” hyperlink on the prime of the report can information you on fixing these points.
Be aware: For those who run a big web site, schedule periodic audits to handle new redirect-related points.
To schedule audits, click on the cog icon within the prime right-hand nook. Scroll all the way down to the audit settings and click on “Schedule.”
Now you may schedule weekly audits to your web site.
How one can Repair Too Many Redirects Errors?
The next are seven troubleshooting steps that will help you repair the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in your website.
The steps under apply to everybody, whatever the content material administration system (CMS) you employ.
But when your web site runs on WordPress, there are some particular suggestions that will help you remedy the “too many redirects” error in your WordPress website. We’ll get into that, too.
Clear Your Browser Cache And Cookies
In some instances, the true offender inflicting the “too many redirects” error won’t be your web site, however your browser.
Your browser may include corrupted cookies and outdated cache. Which could set off the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS for you particularly. However not for the customers accessing your web site.
To substantiate whether or not that’s the case, attempt deleting the saved cache and cookies out of your browser. Right here’s how.
1. Click on the three dots on the prime right-hand nook of your browser and click on “Settings.”
2. In settings, choose “Privateness and Safety” from the sidebar and click on “Clear looking knowledge.”
3. Set your time vary to “All time,” uncheck “looking historical past” and click on “Clear knowledge.”
1. Click on the menu button on the prime right-hand nook of your browser and click on “Settings.”
2. In settings, choose “Privateness and Safety” from the sidebar. Then scroll all the way down to the “Cookies and Website Information” part, and click on “Clear Information.”
3. Click on “Clear.”
Clear Your WordPress Cache
Your browser isn’t the one place the place outdated cache can accumulate. Typically, the cache saved in your WordPress website may also trigger “too many redirects” points.
The caching plugin you’ve put in to your WordPress website might help you clear your web site’s cached recordsdata.
Right here’s find out how to clear cache utilizing two of the most well-liked WordPress caching plugins:
W3 Whole Cache plugin
1. Go to your WP admin dashboard.
2. Navigate to “Efficiency,” then “Dashboard.”
3. Click on “empty all caches.”
WP Tremendous Cache plugin
1. Go to your WP admin dashboard.
2. Navigate to “Settings” after which “WP Tremendous Cache.”
3. Scroll down and click on “Delete Cache” beneath the “Delete Cached Pages” part to take away all cached recordsdata.
Then, refresh your webpage to see whether or not the error is gone. If not, preserve studying.
Test Your URL Settings
Misconfigured URL settings may cause ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS errors in your WordPress web site.
This occurs when your WordPress web site factors on the flawed area, usually throughout a bunch migration or area change.
To handle, go to “Settings” and find your “WordPress Tackle (URL)” and “Website Tackle (URL).”
Test in the event that they match. In the event that they don’t, modify them to level on the right area.
If each URLs match and the redirect error persists, examine for areas at the start or finish of the URLs.
Test Your Plugins
Typically, the redirects you implement utilizing WordPress plugins would possibly battle with redirects that exist on the server stage.
Your plugins may be outdated or have corrupted knowledge.
To check whether or not your plugins are inflicting issues, disable all of your plugins. Then, re-enable them one after the other to see which one is inflicting the issue.
Go to your WP admin dashboard and choose “Plugins” > “Put in plugins.”
Choose all of your plugins by checking the field within the prime left-hand nook.
Choose “Deactivate” from the “Bulk Actions” drop-down menu and click on “Apply.”
Now, refresh your website.
For those who don’t see the “too many redirects” error message, plugins had been creating the difficulty.
Activate every plugin one after the other. As you activate every plugin, reload your web site to see which plugin induced the error.
When you determine the defective plugin, report the issue to the plugin assist staff. Or discover an alternate plugin with the identical performance.
Test for SSL Certificates Points
SSL is a protocol to ascertain an encrypted connection between the server and the shopper. SSL certificates allow you to make use of hypertext switch protocol safe (HTTPS) in your web site.
HTTPS encrypts and protects knowledge transmitted between the server and the browser. So when customers entry your web site, their knowledge is secure from attackers.
For those who don’t set up an SSL certificates correctly or drive HTTPS in your web site with out putting in an SSL certificates, your web site may set off the “too many redirects” error.
Use an SSL checker device reminiscent of SSL Shopper to make sure your SSL certificates is put in correctly. And there are not any points with it.
Test Third-Social gathering Providers
A content material supply community (CDN) is an online of geographically distributed servers that work collectively to ship content material to customers quicker and extra effectively.
For those who use Cloudflare as your CDN and your SSL is ready to Versatile, it may set off redirect loops in your website. Versatile mode forces your website to load over a safe HTTPS model once you’re technically unable to arrange an SSL certificates.
The one draw back is that it could actually trigger redirect loops.
Register to your Cloudflare dashboard and choose your area.
Go to SSL/TLS.
Then, set the encryption mode to Full or Full (strict).
Disable Your .htaccess File
.htaccess is an enormous a part of what controls web page redirects. If some redirect guidelines are misconfigured or defective variables are current, it may trigger “too many redirects” error in your website.
You’ll be able to disable your .htaccess file to substantiate whether or not it’s the offender of the redirect error.
Right here’s find out how to disable a .htaccess file.
1. Entry the WordPress recordsdata folder by going to your internet hosting supplier’s management panel. (We’re utilizing Bluehost for this walkthrough.) And click on “File Supervisor.”
2. Go to your root listing folder. The folder is normally named “public_html,” “www,” “htdocs,” or “httpdocs.”
3. Discover the .htaccess file and proper click on on it to obtain it (in case you should restore it later).
4. Proper-click on the file once more, click on “Rename,” and rename it to “.htaccess_disabled.” This can disable the .htaccess file in your website.
5. Refresh your webpage to see whether or not it’s working. If it’s working, the .htaccess file induced the error.
6. Then, right-click on the .htaccess file and click on “Edit.”
7. Assessment the present configuration. Ensure the principles are set to the default .htaccess configuration.
8. If the principles don’t match, delete the present guidelines and paste these default guidelines:
# BEGIN WordPress
RewriteRule .* – [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%HTTP:Authorization]
RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]
RewriteCond %REQUEST_FILENAME !-f
RewriteCond %REQUEST_FILENAME !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
# END WordPress
9. Save your file and rename the file again to .htaccess
If misconfigurations in your .htaccess file induced the redirect error, this could remedy the difficulty.
Establish and Repair Redirect Errors with Semrush
Redirect-related points reminiscent of redirects chains and loops may set off the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.
Fixing these points as they pop up is tremendous necessary. And Semrush’s Website Audit device checks points along with your web site’s redirects.
Take a look at the Website Audit device at the moment.